Write From Home

Home  Busy Freelancer  Bookstore 

2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006: Named one of the 101 best Web sites for writers by Writers Digest Magazine.

Selected by Bella Life Books as one of the top ten lists for writers in the "10 Top 10 Lists for Writers."

Boost Your Income by Writing for Trade Magazines!

This site best viewed using Internet Explorer at 1024 x 768 resolution.)



About Write From Home

Contributing Writers & Columnists

Reprint Policy

Privacy Policy

Write From Home
Kim Wilson
P.O. Box 4145
Hamilton, NJ 08610

E-mail: kim @ writefromhome.com

Medical Insurance Deductions for Self-Employed Individuals
by Julian Block

Freelance writers, photographers, artists and other self-employed individuals qualify for a valuable tax break on what they spend for medical insurance.

You need no reminder that the cost of medical care keeps climbing. Worse yet, you have to absorb more of the cost because so many charges are not covered by your insurance.

Understandably, these outlays loom large in your eyes. Unfortunately, they usually fail to measure up to a deductible size in the view of the IRS: As you laboriously list your itemized expenses on Schedule A of Form 1040, you'll find that the only expenditures deemed allowable are those exceeding 7.5 percent of your AGI, short for adjusted gross income, the figure on the last line of page one of the 1040 form.

But self-employeds are able to deduct 100 percent of their medical insurance premiums for themselves and their spouses and dependents without regard to that 7.5 percent threshold.

Who qualifies: (1) self-employeds, whether they operate their businesses or professions as sole proprietorships, partnerships, or limited liability companies; and (2) S corporation shareholders owning more than 2 percent of the stock. (S corporations are companies, taxed much the same way as partnerships are, that pass profits through to their shareholders.)

I said that this deduction for medical insurance payments for self-employeds is not subject to the 7.5 percent threshold for all other medical expenditures. This means that the deduction is not claimed on Schedule A, where expenses are itemized, but on the front (line 29 of 2003's return) for Form 1040. In IRS argot, this is an "above-the-line adjustment," that is, it's one of the off-the-top subtractions applied in the section where you calculate your AGI. Thus, take this deduction the same way you claim write-offs for funds put in traditional IRAs or other retirement plans.

Not only is this deduction not lumped with those sums to which the 7.5 percent limit is applied. The self-employed medical-insurance deduction is available even to someone who foregoes itemizing altogether and instead simply uses the standard deduction—the no-questions-asked amount that is authorized for someone who finds it more advantageous not to itemize. So even if you opt not to itemize, you nonetheless get an up-front deduction for 100 percent of your medical insurance premiums.

If you do choose to itemize, don't forget that you've already claimed your medical insurance premiums; you can't count that sum again under itemized medical expenses.

How does that up-front deduction affect your self-employment income for purposes of calculating Social Security taxes? Sorry: It doesn't. The amount you deduct above the line for insurance coverage does not reduce self-employment income when filling Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax) of Form 1040 to compute net (receipts minus expenses) earnings from self-employment. The computation on that schedule is based strictly on Schedule C, on which you report your self-employment receipts and expenses to arrive at a net profit.

Copyright 2003 Julian Block. All rights reserved.

Julian Block is a syndicated columnist, attorney and former IRS investigator who has been cited by the New York Times as "a leading tax professional" and by the Wall Street Journal as an "accomplished writer on taxes." This article is excerpted from his "Tax Tips For Freelance Writers, Photographers And Artists." His publication covers key changes introduced by the 2003 tax act, show how to save truly big money on taxes—legally—and explains the steps you should take to reduce taxes for this year and even gain a head start for future years. Send $9.95 for an e-mailed copy or $14.95 for a postpaid copy to:
J. Block
3 Washington Square
Larchmont, NY 10538-2032.
Contact him at julianblock@yahoo.com

Take Julian's Class!
Julian Block, attorney and syndicated columnist, teaches a continuing ed course called "Tax Tips for Freelance Writers, Photographers and Artists." The New School in New York City and several colleges in neighboring Westchester County will offer the one-session course in April and May. For more information, contact Julian at julianblock@yahoo.com










Free Mini E-Course Download PDF
Writing For Profit: Break Into Magazines
by Cheryl Wright



Article Library

Off the Page

Life of a Writer Mom

Dabbling for Dollars

Interviews with Authors & Writers

Copywriting, Marketing, PR & General Business

The Writing Trade





Writing For Children

Writing With Children

Taxes & Freelancers              
Great Magazines For Writers

magazine cover


Subscribe to
Writer's Digest magazine!

magazine cover
Subscribe to The Writer magazine  

New to freelance writing?

Read this informative article.

Read Glossary of Writing Terms

Authors Area

Agents & Publishers

Book Marketing


(Electronic & Print)



Associations & Organizations

Job Boards & Guideline Databases

Research & Reference


Author &

Writer Web Sites

Writing Sites

Copyright © 2001-2013 Kim Wilson/Kim Wilson Creative Services.